POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : GPU Rendering : Re: GPU Rendering Server Time
19 May 2024 19:06:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU Rendering
From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 23 Jan 2008 00:08:11
Message: <4796cbbb@news.povray.org>
I read once that OpenGL was concieved as a multi-platform 3D manager for
3D GPUs, regardless the brand of the Video Card, so this could be useful
IMHO, I think also that anyway would be A LOT of effort to write
efficient code, to actually make a harmonious coordination with any
CPU/GPU combination. Among possible obstacles to solve:
-Calculate accurately the CPU-GPU latency.
-Calculate accurately GPU-RAM latency
-Calculate accurately CPU-RAM latency
-CPU-GPU coordination latancy.

I have also read that the GPU is been used as a second powerful math
co-processor, so I think POV-Ray should take advantage features like
this. Would be great for POV-Ray. It already gave a great jump to
paralelism in ver 4 I think we are half way to get to CPU-GPU paralell
rendering. Maybe there are some Open Source free-wares already on The
Net that could help in a practical way to embed this feature
faster/easier, who knows...

I just love this program, I only want THE BEST tech for it :)